death in the family

The loss of a loved one can be one of life’s most difficult times. Knowing what to expect on the financial front can help you navigate the grieving process and make your way forward.

What happens when a person passes away? 

When a person passes away, their super savings are not automatically added to their estate and distributed as part of their Will. If a member has made a valid binding death benefit nomination, we will pay their super according to their binding nomination. Without a binding nomination in place, it can be left to the fund Trustee to decide who receives the super. We have a legal responsibility to pay a person or people who are entitled to it. This includes dependants and/or the member’s legal personal representative. 

How do I make a death benefit claim?

A death benefit is the amount of money in a member’s super account, plus, if eligible, the value of any death insurance they may have had at the time of their death.

If you believe you may be entitled to a death benefit , you should contact us. We can also let you know if the deceased person held life insurance through Active Super.

Possible changes to Centrelink income support 

If you have lost a spouse or partner, you may need to get in touch with Services Australia if you are a recipient of income support such as the age pension. It’s important to do this early as you could be overpaid and find yourself owing money. 


Meeting income needs 

Adjusting to life without a loved one is never easy. It may also bring changes to your income needs. If you have lost a spouse or partner – and you are drawing on your super in retirement, you may want to adjust the regular payments.  

Talk to Active Super about how to manage this. Or speak to one of our financial advisers for professional advice on how your super can help. 


Planning ahead 

A death in the family makes it essential to update your own estate plans including your Will and binding nomination for your own super. 

As we age, it is worthwhile appointing Enduring Power of Attorney to a trusted person who will manage your finances if you can no longer do so yourself. Appointing an Enduring Guardian lets you nominate someone to make decisions regarding your personal care if the time comes when you can’t make these decisions personally.  

Now may also be the time to have early conversations with family members about the transition to aged care. The earlier you start, the better prepared you will be. 

we're here for you in good times and bad

Life happens. We're here to help no matter what comes your way.